Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The third shoe hasn't dropped

Today, I encountered my second revelation of teaching.

The first was shared with me by an experienced teacher, who was focusing on inquiry as part of my preparation. He told us about his first day of teaching, when his principal told him:

"Always remember. You don't teach science. You teach kids."


The second one hit me today, when my colleague at my new school said:

"Don't plan for the lesson. Plan for the learning."


So, that's two. All great things happen in threes. There's part of me that thinks that the principal at Rickover had it: "We can choose to do anything at all, so long as it is lawful, orderly and predictable." But, I think that that's such a general principle, not specifically teaching-related... so, I'm still waiting for that third revelation. At this pace, it should come in about two years...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home