Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pre-calc

Okay, it's about 6 weeks into the new year. Much to report, all of which I'll skip for now. For the purposes of this post, all that's important is that I'm teaching pre-calculus to a group of (mostly) juniors, most of whom I'll have next year again, for calculus.

One of my science teachers asked me a few weeks ago, what I intend to teach in pre-calc. So, here it is:

Function notation / Dependent and Independent variables / Inverse functions / Composite functions
Continuity / Limits
Exponential functions / Logarithms / base-e exponentials and natural logs
Trigonometric functions / Unit circle / Sinusoids: period, amplitude, phase shift / Sine (f(x))


There's obviously a lot that won't get covered there, but this is what will. It's kind of fun, coming at the course from this perspective: I'm the only one teaching this, and I really fully get to choose what my content is, and why, and how to approach each piece of it.

Woot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home