Friday, September 28, 2007

Towards a more conceptual calculus

I love Paul Foerster. His Calculus textbook, published by Key Curriculum, is excellent. My students today said that it's a little hard to follow sometimes, but not too bad, which, for a calculus textbook being read by underprepared students, is pretty awesome.

Last week, when I started having 8 students in my calculus class, I decided to start plowing ahead and teaching full-on calculus. Those 8 now have textbooks and TI-89 calculators. I've gotten off on a really conceptual method, really focusing on my questioning strategy, getting into some amazing diversions, as the whole class (of 8, mind you, which is probably why it works) goes deep into each student's ideas. The culture of the class is really amazing: very interrogative, with most of the students really willing to share their ideas. I took time today to thank them for that, to say, "Be thinking about the things that you think are the best and worst about this class-- I'm going to want your feedback. And, since I'm talking about it, let me say that I think that the best thing is how you guys all open right up and share your ideas, even if you're not sure that they're right. I'm really proud of you for that."

Not a lot of real reflection in this post-- just reminding myself that THIS is how I want to be teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home